Avoiding Auto Accidents
Every year, motor vehicle crashes wreak havoc on our roads and cause thousands of deaths and injuries. In 2016, more than 40,000 people lost their lives in crashes in the U.S. Learn how to avoid an accident by following these safe driving tips.
Avoid driving while distracted by refraining from:
- Talking, texting or looking at your cell phone.
- Eating or drinking.
- Reaching for objects.
- Talking to passengers.
- Adjusting your navigation system, radio and vehicle controls.
According to experts, when drivers take their eyes off the road, they will greatly increase their chance of causing an accident. By keeping your eyes focused on the road and being aware of other drivers, you have a greater chance of avoiding a crash.
- Obey traffic laws — laws protect the safety of drivers. Studies and research prove these will be effective for keeping drivers safe.
- Keep a safe following distance to allow for emergency breaking and maneuvering — keep in mind that the faster you are going, the longer it will take to stop.
- Always look at the road ahead of your vehicle to spot possible hazards — when you look far enough ahead, you can spot dangers early and be better equipped to react in time.
- Remain aware of your surroundings — scan your rear-view and side-view mirrors frequently.
Know when not to drive:
- Never get behind the wheel when you are under the influence of any substance that impairs your ability to drive safely.
- Tired drivers are dangerous — a lack of sleep may dull your judgment, slow down your reaction time or cause you to fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Avoid driving in bad weather whenever possible — storms create hazardous road conditions. Fog, rain, snow, sleet and ice increase your crash risk.
NJM Insurance Group’s Commitment to Safety
NJM’s enduring commitment to safety can be traced back to our earliest days — with a focus that has expanded from improving conditions in manufacturing facilities to helping keep customers safe on the roads and at home. NJM is a leader in personal and commercial auto, homeowners, and workers’ compensation insurance.
“6 Ways To Avoid a Car Accident,” https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/6-ways-to-avoid-a-car-accident/index.htm, (April 4, 2015).
Advocates for Highway & Auto Safety — Saferoads.org. https://saferoads.org/issues.
“Safety for All Roadway Users,” https://www.nsc.org/road-safety.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), https://www.nhtsa.gov.